Skip to main content

You Just Hit The Wrong Nerve



The other day, in my English literature class, the teacher asked us to enumerate for her a few classics of the language, and while everyone came up with the works of Charles Dickens and Jane Austen and Bernard Shaw and the Bronte sisters, the answer that stood out the most was that of a girl sitting right behind me, who raised her hand sweetly, and came up with the absurdest thing I'd heard.'Ma'am, authors like Nicolas Sparks, they write so well, why don't we call those books classics?'
The teacher was stumped. Honestly, so were most of the others in the class.

Not at the 'unconventional' question, but at her sheer brainless audacity. A few heads banged down, there were a few exhasperated sighs, and some giggles, and some genuinely chafed whispers wondering what she was doing in a literature class anyway, all in some not-so-polite words.
And for that one minute, I felt like I'd found my place in the world. I fit in perfectly with this obnoxiously contemptuous, stuck up group, and I loved it.

I like to think of myself as something of a sophisticated 'reader' kind of person;  rather take pride in being one. And all through my school life, there was only one person, my best friend, who I shared the trait with. With the rest of the world, it seemed to me, there was something wrong.

Me: What was the last good book you read?
Friend: Breaking Dawn!

Really? A mindless nincompoop of a teenage girl giving birth to her sparkling 107-year old vampire boyfriend's child and her werewolf best friend falling in love with her newborn baby? Good book, that. Forget that, people wouldn't have read a book like that either. People simply watch the movies, and claim to know the books.
It gets to me. Its like an inexplicable pet peeve. People who read interest me. The Stephenie Meyer types annoy. Of course there'll all fine, until they begin to claim they read good literature and then call you a bookworm in an irritating giggly tone when they spot you reading Khaled Hosseini.

It irks me no end when people can't tell their 'accepts' from 'excepts' and their 'affects' from 'effects'. People who say 'didn't knew', 'didn't came', or even 'lolzz'. Basically, people who ruin the language, even its short forms. It feels like having to fight an inexplicable urge to correct people all the time. I don't know exactly how frustrating, but I'm guessing it must be QUITE annoying to have someone breathing down your neck, correcting your grammar, your diction, pronounciation and spellings all the time.

And so, I've (finally) come to realise that its a supercilious condescending obsession. And that I need to get rid of it, for people's good, and mine.
So today, when someone told me they'd just read Revolution 2020 and found it absolutely amazing, I snapped my mouth shut and passed him a smile. Well, its a start.

Comments

  1. It's amazing how people won't give much thought to basic grammar while speaking, or writing, as was the matter with me.
    I remember using 'I didn't knew' a lot of times earlier, thanks to you, I won't be doing that anymore. :)
    Nice post, by the way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vrinda, you write extremely well. I hate to see amazing writers like you not getting a big enough platform to express yourself. Blogging is a nice way to do it, but it's immensely difficult to get a big fat readership.
    I'm glad I stumbled upon your blog. I see that you haven't posted for a year, but I hope you see this and start writing again. I'd love to read more of your work.
    Also, in case you do see this, check out this post I wrote
    http://thebabblingbumblingbaboon.blogspot.in/2014/09/how-to-make-book-nerd-react.html?m=1

    It's similar to what you've expressed here. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Picture Perfect

When you begin work on a painting, you set out on a long difficult journey to the end. Begin by thinking, sketching out on the canvas a rough figure of what you want. It’s an easy task, you've barely begun—you can always erase, redraw, alter, or even start over. Then comes the time for colours. And while there are hundreds and thousands of them to choose from, there are just a few, at times just one, that will be a perfect fit. Choices are tough to make—some may be right, others may go horribly wrong. Yet there’s no choice but to choose. After long toil and much sweat, you come up with the final piece. Some paintings will inspire. They’ll be so beautiful that they’ll leave a mark in your heart and mind for ages to come. Some will be soothing, others will make you smile. And then there will be those that will make you feel simply wasted. Pictures that will only speak to you of your incompetence and inability to make the right choices. Surprisingly, sometimes these may be the p

Alarming Tones

Every time I watch a cliché romantic Bollywood flick, I find myself wishing I could be one of those diligent, sound-sensitive, got-no-time-to-waste NRI people they always end up showing. The ones who wake up bang in sync with the alarm clock’s first bell, get right on their feet and robotically rush into the bathroom. Get dressed, do their morning pooja with long wet hair neatly pulled over one shoulder and eyes brimming with shraddha, and then slip into the busy streets on New York, striding happily, with a Starbucks Coffee to complete the look.   And even after all the morning propaganda manage to be one of the earliest people to reach the office and gain a promotion. I wish, I wish! However, over all these years of my being, I’ve only managed to figure out that I have some sort of an inbuilt anti-alarm mechanism in me—and as much as I may try, alarms are never very successful in shaking me out of my sleep. Consequently, I’m more of the ‘oh shit phir late!’ people than the ‘perfect e