Skip to main content

Sab Moh Maya Hai!



(This is entirely a work of fiction and any resemblance between the characters and persons living or dead is purely coincidental.)
As I walk past the security that thoroughly checked me all over, I try to pinch myself into believing that I really had clinched an interview with one of the most sought after politicians on the scene today. This particular person in reference was the leader of one of the largest parties that thrived on the support of ‘minority groups’, and was also one of the most major harassments that the government currently faced. Nervous and excited, I enter the large gates to her bungalow.

The long, long passage is lined with enormous white statues of that enormous animal that’s her party’s symbol—arre that grey one with something sticking out of its nose? Rhino, yes! (Did you think an elephant? No no!)  There are also some bust-like statues of things that look strangely like...handbags.

By the time I reach her office, I’m half panting, half scared, half apprehensive and half eager (that doesn’t satisfy arithmetic rules, and I don’t care.) to meet this lady who has made me travel so far.
And there she sits—Chhayadevi, the Chief Minister of one of the largest states of the country.
She’s wearing a dull, pistachio green suit, with a dupatta wrapped all around her neck like a cervical collar. Her face is smothered with unevenly dabbed powder, and even as she sits on a large chair, a handbag of the highest order of hideousness hangs on her left arm.

I tell her she looks very nice. She passes a genial yellow-toothed smile at me, and I reciprocate with a meek, half-nauseated one.

She tells me to wait just a moment as she talks on with a kaaryakarta from her party, who seems to be on a repeat playlist going ‘Ji shishter, haan shishter, yesh shishter’—as was customary to call her (Shishter Chhayadevi—it gave the public a very ghar-ki-baat feel).

I look around the room as I wait. The walls are barely bare—anywhere. It’s almost as if one painting leads to another poster to another photograph to another—ohh you get the gist. The paintings, somehow, are all hers. The photographs are hers too. And the posters are, well, the party’s, but they have her face splattered across them anyway.

There is her on her birthday, laden with diamonds, wearing a 1000-rupee notes garland (that was reportedly worth Rs. 22 crores) round her neck and waving to the public as she held a brown handbag in the other hand.
There is her in front of the Taj Mahal. (Ah, irony.)
There is her in front of herself. (I mean, err, in front of her own statue.)
She is in oil and print, on glossy paper and on plain one, framed and unframed.

Having had an overdose of Chhayadevi’s pictorial gallery, I turn to the lady herself, who still sits in front of me, winding up her chat with the kaaryakarta, as another man approaches her. ‘Shishter, phood?’
‘Haan haan, le aao’, she rasps, and within a millisecond, a servant and a butlery looking man enter the room with our food on two large thaals. Chhayadevi does not immediately start in hers, nor does she show any inclination towards having it.

And so being the hungry man that I am, I throw aside my bachi-kuchi sharam and dig my spoon into the ghee laden sooji ka halwa. And then, she bellows, and I swear I’ve never known anything worse.
‘ARE IYOU OUT OF IYOUR MIND?? VAAT EEF EET EES POISONED?!!’
I start. Stammer something incoherent. And then, slowly, regretfully, lower my spoon of the lovely golden brown halwa back into the bowl. The lady on the CM’s chair gives me a ferocious look and I gurgle out a few sounds again.

She then motions to the butler looking fellow, who reaches into his apron and fishes out a fresh spoon. ‘Shishter needs to always make sure her food isn’t poisoned,’ he tells me, taking a bite out of Chhayadevi’s aalu ki sabzi, and then out of mine. ‘Majority groups ka bol baala hai sahib, in partiyon se Shishter jaisi minority leader ko bahut khatra bana rehta hai!’
I nod. Of course.

Having had my food inspected thoroughly through completely modernised and hep means (I mean a food taster—wicked!), I notice that the food on my thaal was considerably lesser. Thinking of it as a small sacrifice made in the name of security, I once again dig my spoon into the golden brown ghee laden sooji ka halwa, and bring it up to my lips—
‘VEEKEELEAKS!!’ Chhayadevi roars, and my spoon falls to the floor, taking the halwa down with it. ‘Kya bakwaas hai yeh! Who ees these Juliet man?’

‘Julius,’ I correct her sadly, looking down at my spilt halwa. ‘Julius Assange—that would be, uh, the Founder of Wikileaks.’

‘Juliet! Julius!  Eets all the same! Sab Shakespeare ki dein! Has he gone mad? Vaat ees he saying? How..’, and she goes on.
Somewhere in the middle of her rave, rant and chatter, I realise that Wikileaks had released cables that had the US calling her an egomaniac who was obsessed with becoming the Prime Minister and was rather paranoid about her security. Ah well, hurt ego.

As I sit there listening to her go on about how we need an extra bed in the Agra ka Pagalkhaana to accommodate Assange, I wonder what ever made her so upset anyway? After all, the CM does boast of having exceptional time management skills. In a state like hers, where poverty abounds and hunger takes lives left, right and centre, Chhayadevi has the time, mind space and intellect to send over a private jet all the way to Mumbai to bring in a pair of her favourite black ugly shoes for her. Last I heard, they were still making very nicely-ugly black unisex shoes in her state—only if Chhayadevi would for once look down at the privilege ridden world she’s the ruler of.

My chain of thought is broken by a harried Chhayadevi telling me that she was now ready for the interview. I get up, fold my hands, say dhanyawaad, and walk out, amidst the shouts of the karyakartaas saying ‘There goes another one! We need another bed in Agra next to Juliet’s!

I had heard enough.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Bucket List

  Stupid Mayans holding us all in suspense. For all we know, it was some loony prehistoric guy who simply got bored midway through his calendar making and decided to leave it at that. Or a sadist, maybe, who thought it would be creepily hilarious to leave his descendents awaiting the ultimate apocalypse—eyes shut, fists clenched, sighing, and all okay bye-byes done and settled, only to find they still had college at 8:59:59 the next day. If its true, though, what a waste of a brilliant life would that be, a December 2012 end would mean I’d have spent all my (conscious) life slogging it off at some padhai centre or the other. Sad. Calls for immediate salvage attempts, running to a four month deadline. 1.        Background Clearance. In the little time that I have on earth, and before the next set of inhabitants arrive, it is essential to wipe off all traces of embarrassing pictures of yours truly, and other textual details. Thus, all the diaries, t...

Straight from the Heart..

There's a column in the entertainment supplement of Hindustan Times, "Dil Se..", that allows Delhiites to send in their messages to their, well, loved ones, or to the world at large. For many, Dil Se.. is a genuine, heartfelt mode of contact. For me, Dil Se.. has been, for quite some time now, my daily dose of entertainment and anti-depressant. Its what i read to feel worthy when I’m feeling down in the dumps. Just to give you a tiny hint of what’s in there, here’s what you’re most likely to find in there if you flip to the column on any given day. 1.       Hi I’m a 21 year old lonely good looking male boy from Dehli looking for girlfriend who understands my emotions. Wanna make fraanship with me? Lonely boy. The fraandship seekers are most popular, probably offshoots of a now dead Orkut movement. A lot of lonely male boys and female girls (and female boys and male girls?) launch their hunt for fraands through this column. More often than not, they even end up...

Nostalgia

The past one year was dotted with moments of depression. Wave after wave of panic, fear and anxiety hit us, as we realised that this was it. Our last few days together. That in a matter of mere months we were to step out of the place we’d called home for the past 14 years, out into that big, bad world of college admissions and jobs and incessant slogging. Hysterical laughter led to tears, then depression, then desperation and sad sighs. Crazy games, never touched after class IV, came back with a bang, and suddenly 12th standard students were running around playing ‘vish-amrit’ and fighting over whether ‘bhaalu’ was an acceptable animal in ‘Name-Place-Animal-Thing’. Songs were sung and dedicated to each other. Every lunch eaten in the second period became more special, every bit relished with an increasing sense of satisfaction. The one trip to Corbett as enjoyed as if everyone was facing a life-sentence back in Delhi. Every party became crazier, every dance more uncontrollable. I lo...