Skip to main content

Mamata Ke Aanchal Mein



Like everyone around me, I, too, was vying for a rendezvous with the political queen of the season, Mamata Bannerjee. Although Mamata didi herself was too busy with her 'work', I got lucky and bagged a date with her very loyal maid of twelve years, Shanta.

"So tell me about her," I said. "Not about Mamata the politician! Ofcourse there she pretty much  has it all under control. The UPA has been rendered virtually useless, as Congress wriggles and twitches and squirms to find some way, some way to get through with the reforms it wants to pass. Mamata, on the other hand, gleefully watches them try their hardest. No, tell me more about Mamata the person. What is she like at home? What does she do on her time off?"

Her favourite pastime, Shanta informs me darkly, is watching her keeda jar.
"Kedda jar?!"
"Keeda jar shaab, keeda jar," she said darkly. "She has all these wriggly worms collected from all over the country. She carries them with her everywhere. She collects them and then stuffs them into this small jar shaab, its her keeda jar. There's no space for the poor souls to even breathe. Its like a miniature Kaala Paani for worms!"

I gulp. She goes on.

"Didi loves it when they bang their heads together and see the stars. Sometimes, when she's very bored, she also lifts the lid of the jar for a bit, and watches them struggle excitedly in a bid to escape. And when they're halfway out the jar, she slams the lid back on and smothers them to a paste."

She pauses ominously. I think of poor balding Dinesh Trivedi. Integrity, he'd said. Voice of his conscience. Poof! What rubbish! What had he been thinking, huh? Which worm's conscience speaks out so loud? Ab ho gayye na squish squash. Tch.
That's how didi is, after all. One-nation-no-discrimination types. Apni party? Congress party? What difference is it anyway? Worms are worms. All of them squirm the same way!

"Roshogulla?" she offered. I shook my head.
"Sometimes," she continued,"she also likes to throw in a troublesome lizard or a big spider to torture the poor worms."
Oh oh oh. I could so imagine her throwing in an oversized spidery Mukul Roy into the ministry just for the heck of the harassment he was to the others.
"And then," said Shanta,"as the poor lives thrash about in desperation, she sadistically sings Tagore's 'Where the mind is without fear' to them. Oh shaab, Tagore she loves! She was even going to change her name to Rabindranath until she realised its too tough and un-motherly for the crowds. She stuck to 'Mamata' then. 'Mamata' 'didi'-see? She has done sabki mother-sister ek, no?" she piped up.

"Rashogulla?" I shook my head.
"What is she to do shaab? She's lonely. She is afraid." Shanta lowers her voice to a conspicuous whisper and I lean closer to listen in. "Something of a psychopath," she informs me grimly. "She's right about CPI shaab," she shrugs. She's paranoid but she's right. Even I work for Brinda Karat."I raise my eybrow. "Part-time, shaab, part-time!" she corrects herself hastily. "Rashogulla?"she asks, this time more desperately. I shake my head again.

Her face falls a little. And then brightens up again.
"Didi ki rally aayegi on TV." she beams. "You wanto watch?" I smiled and nodded. She gleefully switched on the TV, and there Mamata was, shouting, of course.

"Deenesh Treevedi <bangla bangla bangla>"
The crowd nodded.
"Railway budget jonta <bangla bangla bangla>"
Nod Nod.
"Mookool Roy meeneeshter <bangla bangla bangla>"
Nod Nod Nod.
"CPI Conshpirashy!"
Vigorous Nodding.
"NO!" she growled, one finger raised, her lips puckered into a ferocious 'O', as if someone had stuffed an entire golgappa into her little mouth. Only it wouldn't have been a golgappa, maybe a rashogulla. And by no means had it been forced into this Bengali lady's mouth. Who had ever been able to force anything down Mamata Bannerjee anyway, I thought, as I popped a rashogulla into my waiting mouth. Shanta beaamed.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Bucket List

  Stupid Mayans holding us all in suspense. For all we know, it was some loony prehistoric guy who simply got bored midway through his calendar making and decided to leave it at that. Or a sadist, maybe, who thought it would be creepily hilarious to leave his descendents awaiting the ultimate apocalypse—eyes shut, fists clenched, sighing, and all okay bye-byes done and settled, only to find they still had college at 8:59:59 the next day. If its true, though, what a waste of a brilliant life would that be, a December 2012 end would mean I’d have spent all my (conscious) life slogging it off at some padhai centre or the other. Sad. Calls for immediate salvage attempts, running to a four month deadline. 1.        Background Clearance. In the little time that I have on earth, and before the next set of inhabitants arrive, it is essential to wipe off all traces of embarrassing pictures of yours truly, and other textual details. Thus, all the diaries, t...

Straight from the Heart..

There's a column in the entertainment supplement of Hindustan Times, "Dil Se..", that allows Delhiites to send in their messages to their, well, loved ones, or to the world at large. For many, Dil Se.. is a genuine, heartfelt mode of contact. For me, Dil Se.. has been, for quite some time now, my daily dose of entertainment and anti-depressant. Its what i read to feel worthy when I’m feeling down in the dumps. Just to give you a tiny hint of what’s in there, here’s what you’re most likely to find in there if you flip to the column on any given day. 1.       Hi I’m a 21 year old lonely good looking male boy from Dehli looking for girlfriend who understands my emotions. Wanna make fraanship with me? Lonely boy. The fraandship seekers are most popular, probably offshoots of a now dead Orkut movement. A lot of lonely male boys and female girls (and female boys and male girls?) launch their hunt for fraands through this column. More often than not, they even end up...

Loving Vir

Have you ever felt real reverence, true-mad-deep reverence that it almost reached a point of worship? Where the other person could never be wrong, simply because it was HIM? I, for one, have known this sheer devotion. And it happened to be for the man I’ve idolised since I don’t even remember when. I fell in love with Vir Sanghvi. For those of you who don’t know, Vir Sanghvi is an advisor with Hindustan Times, and used to write a weekend column in the paper by the name of Counterpoint. I don’t remember who made me read my first Counterpoint in Sunday’s Hindustan Times, but my Sundays were never the same again. At first glance, Sanghvi impressed. At a second look, he left me in awe. The man was a genius. I hadn’t known anyone like him before—I’d never read a newspaper so unfailingly before. Then came the Sunday Brunch, and Sanghvi shocked me yet again. What in the world did he NOT know about?! All this time I’d spent thinking of him as a purely political writer, and Rude Food gave me a...